Joel Spolsky describes the Joel Test as his "highly irresponsible, sloppy test to rate the quality of a software team" and one of the questions he asks is: Can you make a build in one step?
If you're a Drupal developer who's making changes to a site, your deployment process to push those changes to live probably goes something like this:
1. SSH to the live server
2. Checkout the updated code from SVN
3. Go to the admin modules page, enable some modules
4. Go to the configuration pages for those modules, make some changes
5. Change a few other things on the site
6. Go to updates.php and run the updates
7. Click around the site, making sure it looks OK
8. Tell the boss that the update's done
9. Cross your fingers, hoping nothing has gone wrong
Sound familiar? Most developers have gone through this, and most have thought there has to be a better way.
The solutions range from simple bash-scripts to fully-fledged build-automation tools. This session will describe the options available, and explain everything you need to do to automate the process from CI, testing, and deployment to new environments, so by the end you'll have all the knowledge you need to make a build with a single click.